Using essential oils to repel ticks

I feel like I have been discussing ticks with someone at least once or twice a day for almost 2 weeks.

I'm not a fan of bugs or ticks, so not something I would normally introduce into a conversation. But the ticks have been plentiful lately, and I've been seeing some Facebook posts on creative ways to remove them.

First I want to say there are really only 2 safe ways to remove a tick. Tweezers or a tick spoon. I have a whole post on tick removal on my Coastal CPR blog.  Read the post, it explains how other methods can increase your exposure to tick-borne illnesses.

The safest thing is to prevent getting ticks. So the conversation of insect repellent comes next. There are a lot of great insect repellents and some contain ingredients we might not want on our skin. I've been enjoying and learning about essential oils for a while and have made my own insect repellent. It's been working pretty well so far and I'm getting a lot of requests for the recipe. I mostly use doTerra's Terrashield blend, but I also add peppermint and lavender. Lemongrass, geranium, and melaleuca oils also work well. I found the below chart on Pinterest on essential oils you can use to repel insects. I use witch hazel in my recipe instead of the vodka listed below, but combinations of these oils work pretty well.
I did not make this graphic and I'm not sure who to credit for it.

I'm hosting a workshop this Friday at Nya Studio on using essential oils to prevent insect bites, soothe insect bites, and my friend Alexandra from The Well Oiled Family will be joining me with her After Sun spray recipe. We'll learn about some basic essential oils and different ways to use them. There might even be some refreshments. It'll be fun. Comment below if you'd like to join us or join the conversation on at Oils, Wellness, and Stuff on Facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer work

Quotes

Climbing out of a well