Beware the Ides of March

Every March 15th we say this.  This morning I was wondering... what exactly does Ides mean?  What is an Ide?  Or is the singular Ides?  I think it means something like mid or middle... Inquiring minds want to know.

So I looked it up.  Google is always a good friend when I'm curious about something.

According to Dictionary.com, Ides comes from the Latin word idus, roughly marking the 15th day of March, July & October and the 13th day of the other months of the year.  It's the halfway point of each month.  

The Ides of March is a metaphor for impending doom.  Julius Caeser ignored the warning "Beware the Ides of March" and was stabbed in the back on March 15, 44 BC - also giving us the term backstabber.

This is just my summarized version, use the link above to read the full explanation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer work

Climbing out of a well

Quotes