Summer camp!

Despite my best intentions, I've neglected all my blogs.  I can blame part of the reason on summer camp.

I'm working at 2 camps this summer, well.... technically volunteering at one and paid staff at the second.

I should have begun doing this years ago.

Okay, so I've been volunteering at Cub Scout day camp for 3 years.  As a volunteer my Cub Scout attends for a mere $25.  My daughter can attend with me as a tagalong for free.  Yes.... FREE!  2 kids at 1 week of camp with swimming, archery, etc...... for a mere $25.  It's the deal of a lifetime.  I am also outside with them all day.  I really enjoy it.  The past 2 years I have the tagalongs den which means I watch the children of all the parent volunteers.  So I have boys to young to be Cub Scouts and girls.  Our mixed age/mixed gender group always seem to get along really well and the kids are just plain awesome.

This year I took a paying staff position at Girl Scout camp.  Totally different than Cub Scout camp.... and just as fun!  I should have done this years ago.  My Girl Scout attends for half price, I'm getting paid - not a lot - but still it's an income. And I'm having super fun.  I just finished my first week and am finally learning how to use gimp since I am gimp-challenged.

The cool thing about working at camp is that I am outside all day long.  The kids are outside all day long.  No TV, no electronics, just doing amazingly fun things outside.  Friday I cooked our lunch over an open campfire with 5-7 year olds.   Okay, so I am probably cheating a small amount as the camp does have wifi so I can check messages on my phone as needed, but I don't have time to answer them until after dinner.

The challenging thing about working at camp is that I'm super behind on blogging, writing and keeping up with the office side of my businesses.  I'm teaching all day today, but am not offering any courses until camp and a small family vacation are over.  It also means if anyone calls me about courses it's going to take me a while to return their call as I can only do that first thing in the morning or in the evening.

Summer camp.... just as fun for the adults!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer work

Quotes

Climbing out of a well