2 bottles of ginger ale and customer service

There are 2 bottles of ginger ale in my driveway.

In case you're wondering why, read on for a tale of "I-don't-care-or-think-about-my-job-performance" and "Great-customer-service".

We'll start with "I-don't-care-or-think-about-my-job-performance".

I'm at the store, okay let's be really upfront... I was in Market Basket. Not my usual store, but the other one. The bagger, an older gentleman, said "How heavy do you want these bags?".  My reply ..."they can be heavy, but no heavier than what the bag can handle".   I have a large collection of reusable bags in all different materials, shapes & sizes.   He says "What?" and I repeat myself. He either really couldn't hear me, although I can be really loud, or he really didn't care. So he puts 4 2-liter bottles in 1 reusable bag. It was a bag like the blue reusable bags they sell at Market Basket, but it was my newest black American Heart Association bag. Since it was raining out (ugh), mixed with a little snow later on (double ugh) I just repacked my bread when I got to my car (because no one likes squished bread!) and drove to my next stop and then home.

When I get home I take the bag out, put it on my shoulder, and the whole bottom rips out. All 4 bottles land in my dirt driveway. I go to pick up the first bottle of ginger ale and discover it has a hole in the bottle, a small hole, near the bottom. And the bottle sprays me with ginger ale. My pants, my pullover, my vest, my hat, my face and my glasses. Yup, all got sprayed with ginger ale. I pick up 2 bottles and reach for the last one to discover that it also has a hole, and sprays all over my hand. I'm now sticky with ginger ale. Oh, and it's still raining.

So I carry all the groceries in. Put things in the fridge & freezer and wash my hands, face and glasses. The clothes will all go in the laundry. The sun comes out now just to mock me and I realize I'm really, really irritated by this. Because of course, now I have to go out and replace the ginger ale I just lost in the driveway.

So here is where "Great-customer-service" comes in. I call the store.

I reached a really wonderful woman named Julie on the phone. Julie works in Customer Service. And you know what? I think she's really good at her job. She listened to me vent, offered to replace my ginger ale AND replace my damaged bag. She wasn't snarky or rude. She was nice, listened to me vent and offered a solution to make things better. I told her I don't shop at that particular store every week and she said she was putting my story in their little book and I just needed to go to customer service to get my bottles of ginger ale replaced. She said she'd mention it to the supervisor so that they can review with the baggers how many 2-liter bottles of soda should safely go in a reusable shopping bag.

I think she is awesome.

Because quite frankly we all tend to know the cashiers or baggers to avoid when we shop. It's hard when you go in a store that you don't visit often. You just don't know which employee to avoid. I obviously will NOT forget this guy for a long time, and will have to make a special trip over to the other store to get my ginger ale replaced, but Julie at Customer Service totally turned a rather unhappy situation into a tolerable one. That's great customer service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer work

Quotes

Climbing out of a well