How to NOT keep your house warm when you have no power

Last weekend's #snowtober storm really wreaked havoc with power lines. The wet heavy snow on trees that still had leaves made for some really heavy branches that took down a lot of utility lines. For my family this was the first big storm that we didn't lose power. But I have a lot of friends who, days later, are still in the dark with no electricity and no heat.

I debated posting suggestions for what to do in the aftermath of a storm a few days ago. But then realized that if you don't have power, I don't think you'd be reading my blog. I think checking out the electric company's website on your smartphone would be what most folks would be doing.

In the aftermath of the storm there have been several Carbon Monoxide emergencies. Last winter I wrote Have you had your heating system inspected lately? Today I thought I'd give you a list of ways to NOT heat your home when you do not have power.  Keep in mind this list is not all-inclusive nor do I claim to have any personal experience with any of these.

  • Heating your house with a generator running in a closed space (like a garage) is NOT a good idea.
  • Heating your house with your gas oven that you use to cook with is NOT a good idea.
  • Heating your house with a fire in a fireplace that you haven't used in perhaps a decade or two is NOT a good idea.  Get it professionally cleaned & inspected and then you can use it.
  • Heating your house with gas appliances that are not vented to the outside is NOT a good idea.
I'm sure there are more interesting ways to keep warm that are not the safest ideas.  Feel free to comment and add to my list of ways to NOT keep warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer work

Climbing out of a well

Quotes