How to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless cause that is a byproduct of burning fuel. That fuel can be propane, gas, gasoline, wood or kerosene. Many of us have appliances or heat sources that burn this fuel, but because they are installed they are properly vented to the outside so as to not fill our homes with this deadly gas. Sadly every so often I see a story of someone who died from carbon monoxide. It is a tragedy that could have been avoided. There were two stories in the news this past week, 2 people lost their lives in a fire caused by using a propane heater indoors and 1 family was saved because one family member recognized their symptoms as possible carbon monoxide poisoning and contacted their fire department.

During power outages DO NOT use an outdoor appliance in your home to generate power or heat. Generators, grills (gas and charcoal) and propane heaters are not meant to be used indoors.

After storms or heavy snowfall make sure the area around your appliance vents is clear of obstruction.

Make sure all appliances that use fuel are properly installed and properly vented.

You can read more on my Examiner article or visit the EPA website.


  1. So sad. :( We've always had Carbon Monoxide detectors in our house also, just in case. One on each floor. You can't be too careful.

  2. CO detectors are extremely important. Unlike smoke which you can smell often before you see it, Carbon Monoxide is colorless and odorless. With kids at home a good CO detector is just as important as having smoke detectors.

    Stay safe, Gail


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Climbing out of a well

Things happen for a reason and that's how I diagnosed duck itch

How long is a CPR class?