Saturday, January 9, 2010

Skiing

This may sound odd, but we live in NH and we don't ski. There are many beautiful places to go skiing, but yet we don't ski. So today I thought I'd try to change that.

On my other blog I posted that January is Learn a Snow Sport Month. As part of this many ski locations are offering fabulous deals. Today, 1/9/10, was Winter Trails Day. So I thought I'd take advantage of the free rentals and free skiing to take the kids. Oh, did I mention I was taking 4 kids, ages 2 to 11, by myself?

It actually went somewhat well. It could have been worse. I rented a Pulk - a special cross-country sled - for my youngest to ride in. The rest of us had skis. I got a lot of exercise trying to get 3 kids into the skis and froze my hands in the process. In hindsight I should have bundled my 2 year old into the sled last, not first. By the time we were all set she had been in sled for a while and just lost patience with it ... especially when we had to wait our turn for our ski lesson. When I had a chance to really get skiing she was upset and kept pulling her hat off. It was too cold for her to go hatless so at that point she & I were done. My son was having fun, but couldn't go very fast or he'd fall over and his older sisters were a bit ahead of him, so I rounded him up and the little kids and I got to camp out in the car.

The girls loved it though. They were out on the trails for a lot longer than I thought they would be. My biggest regret about the whole outing was I never got a picture of the kids on the skis.

No comments:

Post a Comment