Ingredients I can pronounce

I always prided myself on being able to spell and pronounce difficult looking words.

But have you ever looked at the ingredients list on the packages, boxes and cans in your kitchen cupboard?  There are words I am just lost to try to pronounce correctly.

So a while back I decided to try cooking more things from scratch.  This has been a challenge.  While I really like to cook, I don't always have oodles of time to do it. 

Over the past few months I've been trying new ways to make pancakes rather than using the popular mix that you can cook hundreds of other recipes with.  You know the one - it's in a yellow box.  Believe me, I LOVE the stuff.  But I wanted to try to see what I could recreate without it.  Anyway, the kids were not too thrilled with the pancakes I was making.

Until.....

Last night my husband wanted a meat pie.  I make the one from the yellow box.  Hmmmm.... no yellow box in the house.  But I thought I saw a recipe for 'homemade biscuit mix'.  Other than struggling for 20 minutes calculating how to reduce the size of the mix (I didn't need almost 13 cups of the stuff), I made the pie.

It was awesome!  Everyone liked it, NO leftovers.  :)

I had enough of the homemade mix to make pancakes this morning.  Better than the stuff from the box.

So while it is a challenge, this has renewed my goal to cook more from scratch with ingredients I can pronounce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer work

Quotes

Climbing out of a well